Landmarks Association of St. Louis

2024 Most Enhanced Awards


2024 Most Enhanced Awards

Thursday, May 23rd, 2024

The Dogwood in the Grove

4308 Manchester Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110

5:30 PM Reception | 6:30 PM Ceremony



2024 Most Enhanced Awards Winners

(listed in presentation order)



2528 Texas Ave - The Koken:
Built in 1912, this property served as the headquarters of the Koken Barbers' Supply Company from 1912-1928, when it was sold to the International Hat Company. The former office and manufacturing building sat mostly vacant for over 20 years and is now a multi-family apartment building.
Owner: Koken Warehouse LLC (Michael Schwartz and Mark Groenda)
Architect: Michael Schwartz and Mark Groenda
Contractor: Michael Schwartz and Mark Groenda


3310 Nebraska Ave:
Built circa 1890, this single-family house was completely renovated, repairing water damage and a major hole in the rear wall.
Owner: WJL Companies
Architect: Paul DeHart
Contractor: N/A

2206 Locust St - The 22 at 2206 Locust:
Built in 1914 for the Hornet Mantel & Tile Company, the former storefront and warehouse sat vacant for 30 years. It has been renovated into 14 apartments and commercial space, restoring the historic storefront appearance.
Owner: AHM Group 
Architect: studioDVLP
Contractor: AHM Constructors


1201-07 Tower Grove Ave - Brick & Iron Building:
Built circa 1909, the commercial block at 1201-07 Tower Grove Ave housed a grocery store, hardware store, and apartments. The tax credit project followed preservation standards and now houses two commercial storefronts and six one-bedroom apartments.
Owner: Rule Breaker, LLC c/o Timothy Greenwald
Architect: Gateway Architecture, Jason Plough
Contractor: Millennium Restoration and Development, John Vogt


3614 California Ave:
This single-family home, built in 1908, housed Louis R. Padberg, a U.S. military doctor and coroner for St. Louis. It experienced a tragic fire in 2006 and remained vacant until its total rehabilitation was completed in March 2024.
Owner: Alberto Vushaj
Architect: N/A
Contractor: Vushaj Construction, Alberto Vushaj


3012 Arsenal / 3108 Minnesota - Bavarian Inn:
The dry goods store constructed in 1913 for William Langmeir is best known as the Bavarian Inn that operated from 1944 to 1984. It sat vacant for around 25 years until its recent renovation.
Owner: AHM Group 
Architect: studioDVLP, Aaron Bunse
Contractor: AHM Contractors


1717 Olive St - The Victor:
Built in 1906 by architects Mauran, Russell, and Garden, the massive Butler Brothers warehouse distribution center fills an entire city square block. After sitting vacant for 40 years, it has been renovated into a mixed-use facility featuring 384 apartments, parking, retail, and co-working space.
Owner: Development Services Group
Architect: Trivers
Contractor: PARIC


2616 Cherokee St:
Built in 1923, the building at 2616-20 Cherokee housed a variety of shops in its first few decades, including the Saiger Variety Store, the Horras Piano Company, and Nachman’s Furniture & Appliances. The former retail building had a vacant second floor for decades and now features both retail and residential spaces.
Owner: Jason Deem
Architect: Virescent Design, Jessica Deem
Contractor: Arcas, LLC


1500 S Grand Blvd - The Nicholas:
This project saw the conversion of the seven-year-vacant, 1912 office building, constructed for Pelligreen Construction & Investment Co. by architect A.B. Groves, into 28 apartments.
Owner: AHM Group
Architect: Trivers
Contractor: Blackline Design & Construction


5095 Delmar Blvd - Esca:
The mixed-use building was transformed into a general-use commercial building with the addition of two residential units on the top floor. The foundation was excavated and secured, and an outdoor heated patio with an urban garden landscape was added.
Owner: Maker District LLC
Architect: Mademan Design, Patrick Knobloch
Contractor: CDG General Contracting and Construction, Cliff Gauntt


2322 S 12th St - The Franz Arzt House:
Constructed in 1874-76 for Dr. Franz Arzt, a notable medical practitioner, linguist, and botanist, it was the first St. Louis house to have installed radiant heat. Lack of repairs and time took their toll until the six-plus years of extensive restoration and rehabilitation.
Owner: Joy & Ron Christensen
Architect: N/A
Contractor: Joy Grdnic Christensen


326 S 21st St - SoMa House / St. Louis City SC Headquarters:
The SoMa (South of Market) building was constructed in 1918 for Century Electric Co. by architect L. Baylor Pendleton as a receiving depot and warehouse. It was most recently in use as the Upper Limits Climbing Gym. It was completely renovated into the headquarters for St. Louis CITY SC’s front office and creative staff.
Owner: St. Louis City SC
Architect: Christner
Contractor: BSI Constructors Inc.

4900 Daggett Ave - Kings Hill:
The former Ringen Stove Company Factory / Magic Chef Factory was built in 1910. The factory underwent a gut renovation and was transformed into the Brown & Crouppen office space.
Owner: Third Man Development, Hany Abounader
Architect: HOK
Contractor: PARIC

5256 Vernon Ave - A. A. Fischer House:
Constructed in 1901 for St. Louis builder A. A. Fischer, who also served as architect and contractor. He was responsible for constructing more than 300 houses and apartment buildings in St. Louis and nearby University City. After its purchase in 2018, it experienced a devastating fire in 2019, gutting the interior, but it has since been brought back to life.
Owner: Guy Slay
Architect: Saint Louis Design Alliance
Contractor: Mangrove, Guy Slay




About the Most Enhanced Awards:

The Most Enhanced Awards recognizes outstanding examples of restoration, rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse of St. Louis’ architectural heritage. Winners are selected based on the difficulty of the project, the historical or architectural significance of the building, diversity of building type and development entity, the capacity of the project to have a transformational effect on its surrounding area, and the project’s power to inspire.


About Landmarks Association:

Landmarks Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation, protection, and promotion of the architectural heritage and cultural resources of our community. Through advocacy, education, and collaboration, Landmarks Association strives to safeguard our city's historic fabric and promote a vibrant and sustainable future.



2024 Sponsors