Proposed Demolitions to be Reviewed by the St. Louis Preservation Board on January 24th
| 148-156 Victor Street looking southwest|
150 Victor Street encompasses the entire city block bound by South Second, DeKalb, Victor and Sydney Streets. Historically, the block was filled with one to two story brick residences built during the mid to late 19th century. During the mid 20th century several of the historic buildings facing South Second and Sydney Streets were razed for storage yards. Within the core of the city block several steel framed industrial buildings were constructed and were historically used as a slaughter house and meat packing plant. Many of the remaining historic structures were retrofitted and used as coolers where meat was stored. Very few of the remaining historic buildings are intact and nearly all have been heavily compromised. However, the red brick multi-family flats at 152-156 Victor Street retains much of its historic integrity. The entire facade of 148 and 150 Victor Street, to the immediate east of red brick flats, was covered after 1970 with a modern material. A highly decorative wood cornice and a mansard roof as still intact on both buildings. Currently, the condition of the front facade below the modern curtain wall is unknown.
R and R Contracting Company of O'Fallon, Missouri currently owns the block and is trying to obtain the demolition permit. It is currently unknown what their development plans include for the block. To learn more about other issues being addressed by the review board, check their agenda at the St. Louis Cultural Resource Office website.The meeting will be held at 4:00 pm at 1015 Locust Street in Room 1200 on Monday, January 24th.
| Detail of cornice on 148 and 150 Victor Street|
|148-156 Victor Street circa 1970|