Share your enthusiasm for downtown St. Louis' rich history, fine architecture, and unique character-- become a tour leader for the Landmarks Association/Revitalize St. Louis downtown walking tour program!
After months of public pressure, on December 19th the Superintendent of the St. Louis City Public Schools recommended that both Shenandoah and Mann elementary schools be renovated. This was the option that was overwhelmingly preferred by stakeholders because it prevented the closure of Mann and the potential demolition of Shenandoah. Landmarks Association has been working hard to influence this decision by soliciting comments from stakeholders and coordinating with city officials such as Alderwomen Florida and Ingrassia as well as with the office of the Mayor. It seems that the SLPS has listened to reason.
Today the National Trust for Historic Preservation included the St. Louis Palladium Building, a former jazz club known as the Club Plantation, at 3618 Enright in Grand Center, as among the 11 most significant and endangered buildings in the entire United States. Taken straight from the pages of Landmarks Association's Most Endangered Lists where it has resided since 2012, many in St. Louis have been hoping to see the building rehabiliated and brought back to productive use for years, while warily keeping an eye on a possible threat from the expansion of the John Cochran Veterans Hospital next door. Now the National Trust has stepped up to the plate and recognized the building's significance to American cultural heritage while echoing the concerns of the St. Louis preservation community about its lack of procedural protection from arbitrary demolition.
| Tower Grove Hall at S. Grand and Juniata|
Over the next few weeks, Landmarks Association will be posting individual chapters from The Glories of Germanhood: A History of the Turnverein in St. Louis, Missouri. The essay was researched over the course of a year and the collected information was placed into a finished document by our former intern, Andrew Wanko. Chapter one explains the creation of the turnverein movement and it's founder, Friedrich Jahn.
|Sarmiento (center) at the Pheonix Financial Center, 1967 |
After the announcement of the potential threat to demolish the AAA Building for a CVS store, Landmarks Association contacted the 89 year old Sarmiento who still resides in Southern California.
| H. May Steinmesch|
| St. Louis City Flag. Adopted Feb. 3, 1964.|
| Drosten House at 3324 Missouri in 1984|
The 145 year old Drosten House at 3324 Missouri Avenue is undergoing an extensive rehabilitation courtesy of WJL Companies.
Saint Louis University Law School's decision to move its campus into a currently-vacant building at 100 North Tucker Downtown is a bold, meaningful, and progressive decision.
The zoning variance for the Southern Funeral Home was abruptly removed from the agenda for the Board of Adjustment meeting today.
| Rock Hill Presbyterian Church|
| William Bodley Lane|
William Bodley Lane, former Vice President and Board Member of Landmarks Association, dies.
|3600 South Jefferson|
Demolition permits for the Souther Funeral Home in the Carondelet and 3600 South Jefferson in Benton Park will be reviewed by the Preservation Board on Monday, January 23rd.
| Southern Funeral Home - 6632 S. Grand|
The St. Louis Board of Adjustment will be having a public hearing on Wednesday, January 18th at 1:30PM in Room 208 at City Hall. On the agenda is the appeal of a building permit for a new retail store by Dollar General at the 6632 S. Grand, the site of the Southern Funeral Home.
| Cupples Seven Warehouse|
2011 witnessed a dramatic shift in public awarness of the St. Louis historic built environment. Opposition to demolition and the encouragement of adaptive reuse was voiced by the community to the representatives of our city and municipalities. This outcry to save our historic buildings led to a reawakening of preservation in St. Louis.
| Andrew Weil Executive Director of Landmarks|
Please join Landmarks in welcoming Andrew Weil as our new Executive Director.
|AAA Building reused as a restaurant|
5th graders from Rockwood School District's Center for Creative Learning presented their plans for adaptive reuse of endangered buildings.
Since 1991, the Regional Arts Commission (RAC) has supported the educational and outreach programs of Landmarks Association of St. Louis. At the close of 2011, we wanted to recognize RAC for an amazing two decades of critical support.
|3600 S. Jefferson at left hand side of picture|
| AAA at 3917 Lindell|
This past July it became known that CVS wanted to purchase the property with the intent of demolishing the building to construct a new building. Without being in a Preservation Review District or individually listed on the National Register the building lacks any protection and its future is unknown.
Do you know which print shop on Cherokee street is housed is a former vaudeville theater? Or why the area was once known as a "shelter for desperate, lawless vagabonds" during the 1830's? You can find out during three historic walking tours led by Landmarks Association during the Cherokee Print League's 4th Annual Holiday Sale! Be sure and come to this event featuring local artists at several venues, galleries and print shops on Cherokee Street. It will be a blast!
Update on the Special Session of the Missouri Congress concernig Historic Tax Credits from the Alliance for Investment, Jobs and Historic Preservation.
|212 South Grand|
| Garfield School. 2612 Wyoming.|
Garfield School (1936) in the Benton Park West Neighborhood is moving closer to being purchased and adaptively re-used by Peter and Paul Community Services.
| St. Louis: Landmarks and Historic Districts|
Landmarks is having a sale on all of our publications. Stop by our office at 911 Washington Avenue, Suite 170 or call us at 314-421-6474 to order one today.
Landmarks is selling a limited printing of a set of 6 different St. Louis themed postcards originally produced in the 1950's.
| Cupples 7 located at 1014-30 Spruce|
Landmarks with other national, regional and local organizations prepared a statement concerning the recent report finding Cupples Warehouse 7 structurally unsound.
Legislative update concerning the special session on September 20, 2011.
| Pevely Dairy Headquarters 1001 S. Grand|
Father Lawrence Biondi's September 2011 message to returning faculty, staff and students lists recent property acquisitions, which includes the former Pevely Dairy Company headquarters at 1001 S. Grand.
| Missouri State Capitol|
On August 25th, a forum sponsored by the Alliance for Investment, Jobs and Preservation in Missouri will review the Missouri State Historic Tax Credit and its potential legislative threats.
|The former Phillips 66 at 212 S. Grand|
Developer Rick Yackey states, "I am in the process of redesigning without destroying the historic integrity of the building," concerning the former Del Taco at 212 S. Grand.
| Daniel Sidney Brown's Brownhurst.|
For Immediate Release: Historic "Brownhurst" landmark is scheduled for demolition unless a buyer can be found to purchase for $1 and move the mansion. Additionally the Marianist, who own the building, will donate $30,000 towards the cost of moving.
Brownhurst was given a second stay of demolition by the Kirkwood Landmarks Commission on August 10th. This will be the final stay the 1892 dwelling will receive. If the buildind is not under contract or moved within 30 days, the building will likely be demolished by the Society of Mary.
The former Castle Ballroom at 2831-45 Olive Street is currently for sale! The impressive structure was constructed in 1908 and showcased the likes of Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis.
| Castle Ballroom|
| 169 East Grand Avenue|
Several voices in opposition of the site plan from the general public and the Rock Hill Planning and Zoning Committee are heard.
| Rock Hill Church. Photo courtesy of Missouri Preservation.|
A 5-1 vote by the Rock Hill Board of Aldermen adopted Bill 1807. The adoption of this bill repealed an ordinance restricting the number of gas stations in the muncipality leading to the demolition of the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church and the third relocation of the Fairfax House.
| Chuck Purgason. Senator from District 33.|
The current language of Missouri Senate Bill 280, introduced by State Senator Chuck Purgason, would severly damage the Historic Tax Credit progam.
Executive Director of St. Louis County Charlie Dooley, introduced budget cuts that would close 23 county parks and eliminate 175 jobs. Let the County City Council know how you feel about the proposed closures.
| Yeatman School currently for sale.|
The St. Louis Public School District has listed additional schools on the real estate market. Among the new listings are Lafayette Elementary at 815 Ann, Gardenville School at 6651 Gravois and Shepard Elementary at 3450 Wisconsin.
| Route 66 Meramec River Bridge|
The National Trust for Historic Preservation awarded Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Inc. a $3,500 preservation grant from the National Trust funds. The grant will go towards the master plan for the Historic Route 66 Bridge over the Meramec River in St. Louis County.
Landmarks members who took last year's tour of the former Carter Carburetor, Knights of Pythias (Beaux Arts) Building on N. Grand will be interested to know that rehabilitation is progressing.
| 5570 Manchester Ave was approved for demolition|
Two of the three reviews for demolition permits were granted by the St. Louis Preservation Board on February 28, 2011.
| 1212-14 Lynch Street|
The St. Louis Preservation Board will review two applications for demolitions permits and one appeal of a staff denial for a demolition permit. The meeting will be held at 1015 Locust St. in Room 1200 at 4:00PM.
The complex of industrial and former residental buildings bound by Victor, Sidney, DeKalb and Second Streets were reviewed for demolition. All buildings and structures within the complex were approved for demolition by the board.
|Senator Jason Crowell of the 27th District|
State Senator Jason Crowell (R-Cape Girardeau) submits several bills before the Missouri Senate that would drastically change many tax credits including the Missouri Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
| 100 Block of Victor Street|
An application for the demolition of a group of buildings at the 100 block of Victor Street will be reviewed by the St. Louis Preservation Board on Monday, January 24th. The buildings include several industrial buildings and historic residences. The meeting for the review will be held at 1015 Locust Street Room 1200 at 4:00 pm. All are encouraged to attend.
The Sacha Schnittmann sculpture, "Force of Modern Architecture", commonly referred to as "Battery Man", was recently removed from the facade of 2675 Washington Avenue. The reason for the sculpture's removal and its whereabout are unknown.
Five requests for demolition permits were reviewed by the St. Louis Preservation Board on Monday, November 22, 2010. Two permits were granted while the remaining three were denied. Assistant Director of Landmarks, Andrew Weil, attended the meeting and spoke in favor of the preservation of these buildings.
Applications for the demolition of five historic buildings will be reviewed by the St.Louis Preservation Board on Monday, November 22nd at 4pm. The meeting will be held at 1015 Locust Street in room 1200. The five buildings are located at 4942-44 Wise Avenue and 4217, 4221, 4223 and 4225 Arco Street.
The Assistant Director of Landmarks Association of St. Louis, Andrew Weil, attended the St. Louis Preservation Board Meeting on September 27, 2010. Two buildings were granted preliminary approval for demolition while the demolition of a third was deferred for six months.
Recent news concerning the efforts to save the historic Route 66 Bridge spanning the Meramec River in St. Louis County.
Proposals for the demolition of three historic buildings will be reviewed at the Preservation Board Meeting on Monday, September 27, 2010 at 1015 Locust Street, Room 1200 at 4:00 pm.
During the nineteenth century, city officials grappled with St. Louis' problematic street system. Various materials and techniques were used such as grantie blocks and macadamized roadways. However, wood blocks were experiemented with and used as a paving material for over 50 years. A remnant of this historic material was recently noticed in downtown St. Louis.
(April 19, 2010) Two buildings across the street from the Mullanphy Emigrant home have burned and collapsed; a third was badly damaged as a result.
For years, the grandiose former Carter Carburetor building across the street from Powell Hall has sat in under-utilized majesty. It will now be rehabilitated and turned in to a charter school that focuses on the performing arts, an apt use for a building in one of St. Louis' traditional theater districts.
(March 16, 2010) On March third, Missouri Preservation held its award ceremony to honor individuals and organizations who have made great contributions toward preservation in the state. Some of the award winners were St. Louis projects, and some have ties to Landmarks Association.
(March 10, 2010) Detroit Mayor Dave Bing has recently proposed the demolition of over 10,000 buildings in an effort to artificially shrink the city and consolidate services. While done for somewhat different reasons, this type of wholesale clearance has precedent in St. Louis with entire neighborhoods such as Mill Creek disappearing in the blink of an eye, and major portions of LaSalle Park and the riverfront commercial district reduced to rubble and carted to the landfill.
(March 4, 2010) Economists with Rutgers University and the National Trust Community Investment Corporation (a subsidiary of the National Trust for Historic Preservation) have released a detailed report on the economics of the Federal Historic Tax Credit program. The news is very good for those of us who have argued long and hard that preservation tax credits generate economic growth.
On February 27, Landmarks Association was granted access to the mothballed Kiel Opera House. Rob Lochner, VP of Development for Optimus Development lead the tour.
(February 26,2010) With Landmarks Association currently on the hunt for its 2010 Most Enhanced Award winners, it is nice to see some future award winners popping up on the radar.
The City To River organization has proposed a new approach to reconnecting Downtown St. Louis with the riverfront and Arch grounds.
(January 27, 2009) Today's Post Dispatch has an article about the plight of the National Register listed Route 66 bridge over the Meramec River in St. Louis County.
(December 12, 2009) According to the CityArchRiver2015 organization's website, the international design competition will seek to "better frame" the masterpiece that is the arch.
(October 9, 2009) In an article that appears in today's Post Dispatch, St. Louis City School District Superintendant Kelvin Adams addressed a current 18 million dollar budget shortfall for the current school year and speculated about where those funds could be recouped. Following the closure of fourteen schools this past summer as part of a new master plan for the District, it seems that financial problems continue, and may very well threaten more historic school buildings.
(September 10, 2009)
(August 11, 2009) On Tuesday morning, a delegation from the Osage Nation traveled to Sugarloaf Mound in South St. Louis to bless their newly acquired property. At the ceremony, Congressman Russ Carnahan, Congressional Outreach Coordinator Kathy Waltz, and Landmarks Researcher Andrew Weil were honored by Osage Principal Chief Jim Gray for their role in helping to preserve the mound.
(July 20, 2009) The St. Louis Arts and Crafts Society will be hosting an open house for potential and existing members this Sunday at the stunning Craftsman home of Patrice Petrich. The home was constructed in 1912 as one of the first homes in the Grand Kingshighway Park Subdivision, which in turn was platted to take advantage of the construction of the long awaited Kingshighway Parkway designed by noted landscape architect George Kessler. Facing Bellerive Boulevard, once known as Kingshighway Southeast, the house (700 Bellerive) looked out on the first section of parkway that was constructed to connect the newly purchased Riverside (now Bellerive) Park and South Grand. The home and the intact section of parkway where it is situated were both used as examples (along with the restored garage) in Landmarks Association's pending National Register nomination of the Grand Bates Suburb Historic District.
(June 18, 2009) Landmarks has been working to preserve the San Luis Apartments, formerly the DeVille Motor Hotel, which the Archdiocese of St. Louis plans to demolish for a surface parking lot. Completed in 1963, the San Luis is the work of renowned New Orleans modernist Charles Colbert. Rising over the corner of Lindell Boulevard and Taylor Avenue, the building is a vital component of Lindell's high-rise streetscape and a key feature of its unique collection of mid-century modern structures. The Archdiocese's plans are up for preliminary review by the city's Preservation Board this Monday, June 22nd. Please help us in our efforts to support the San Luis by sending letters to the board and 28th Ward Alderwoman Lyda Krewson!
(June 8, 2009) At Landmarks Association's annual membership meeting that took place this past Sunday, June 7 at St. Alphonsus "Rock" Church on North Grand Boulevard, Board President Bill Wischmeyer awarded Jamie Cannon (FAIA) the 2009 "President's Award." Mr. Cannon was unfortunately unable to attend the meeting due to a last minute conflict, so long-time friend and colleague Carolyn Toft (former Executive Director of Landmarks) accepted the award in his stead. Read the text of Bill Wischmeyer's remarks about Jamie on the following page.
(June 2, 2009) Today, radio station KWMU aired a report by Maria Altman on the current condition of the James Clemens, Jr. House. That story and a photo gallery are available online here. Landmarks has retained the Clemens House on our 2009 Most Endangered Places list.
(May 28, 2009) Take a look at the variety of events that our guests enjoyed during this year's Preservation Week.
(May 21, 2009) Recognizing the best in historic restoration projects completed over the past year, Bill Wischmeyer, president and Jeff Mansell, Executive Director of Landmarks Association handed out 14 Most Enhanced Awards during the annual awards ceremony, Friday, May 15.
(April 22, 2009) The Missouri House of Representatives, the Missouri Senate and the Saint Louis County Council all passed resolutions recently recognizing the 75th birthday of the Kiel Opera House.
(April 22, 2009) Yesterday NPR's "All Things Considered" prgram included a story by St. Louis public radio reporter Adam Allington on schools closures in St. Louis. The program included an interview with Landmarks Association's Assistant Director Michael Allen on the architecture of William Ittner. Schools mentioned in the story included Arlington, Mann and Mark Twain. NPR also posted a gallery of Landmarks' photos of seven of the 17 schools in the current closure round. The story and gallery are online here.
(April 6, 2009) Tomorrow University City residents will have the opportunity to vote either for or against Proposition U, a $53.6 million bond issue for the University City School District. If passed, this bond issue will fund the district's proposed facilities plan which entails the demolition of Pershing (1920) and Barbara C. Jordan (1951) elementary schools.
(March 9, 2009) Join us on Saturday, March 14th from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Maryland Gallery in Clayton for "re:vision", a show that includes a series of striking new abstract architectural photographs by Ken Konchel.
(March 2, 2009) The Point of View: Lewis Place exhibit that graced the walls of Architecture St. Louis in February is the subject of a video on the St. Louis Beacon website. Videographer Laurent Torno III captures images from the exhibit as well as footage from the exhibit opening and the street itself.
(February 26, 2009) The legacy of the St. Louis Public School buildings goes far beyond just the work of William B. Ittner and Rockwell Milligan, beginning in the mid-nineteenth century and extending into the 1940s. Read the fascinating history of the district's evolution and the development of its historic building stock here!
(February 26, 2009) A comprehensive look at the twenty-nine works of William B. Ittner and Rockwell Milligan which are currently closed, for sale, or recommended for closure demonstrates the incredible beauty and importance of these buildings, as well as what the city of St. Louis stands to lose should the SLPS district fall short of its responsibilities as steward of these architectural treasures.
(February 11, 2009) Landmarks Board Member William G. Seibert provided remarks at the public meeting on the St. Louis Public Schools facilities management plan held Saturday, February 7 at Vashon High School. Among the comments printed here in full is thre reminder that no matter how many schools need to be closed, "certain obligations of stewardship remain, and history and future generations of St. Louisans will bitterly condemn you should you ignore or walk away from these obligations."
(February 6, 2009) At a public meeting held Febury 4 at Roosevelet High School, Assistant Director Michael Allen presented a statement on the proposed St. Louis Public Schools facilities management plan that reminded those present that among the findings of the November public meetings on this plan was that 74% of respondents consider historic preservation to be a somewhat to very important component of a facilities plan -- a concern not well-represented in recommendations from District consultants.
(January 30, 2009) Read the full text of Landmarks Association's position statement on the St. Louis Public Schools' Facilities Management Plan.
(January 26, 2009) The Special Administrative Board of the St. Louis Public Schools will hear recommendations by MGT of America, Inc. on the future use of district schools during the board meeting on Thursday, January 29, 6:00 p.m., at Vashon High School, 3035 Cass Ave. All community members are invited to attend this open meeting to hear this much-anticipated report firsthand. However, due to the anticipated length of the MGT presentation, there will be no public comments taken at this meeting. The District will hold two special community forums for public comments - Wednesday, February 4, from 6:00p.m. - 8:00p.m. at Roosevelt High School, 3230 Hartford St., and Saturday February 7, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at Vashon High School, 3035 Cass Ave.
(January 24, 2009) On the evening of January 24, 2009, the doors of Architecture St. Louis were thrown open to honor Carolyn Hewes Toft, the former Executive Director of Landmarks Association who retired this summer after 32 years at the helm. Board President Bill Wischmeyer praised the former director saying "it is fair to say that Carolyn Toft has effectively been Landmarks Association for as long as anyone can remember. Due to her guidance and direction, the membership has grown to over 1,300 and Landmarks is recognized throughout the country as one of the nation's premier preservation organizations."
(December 18, 2008) Staff members from Landmarks Association visited this week's Open House at the Rockwoods School District Center for Creative Learning to see students' final projects in architecture. In October, the fifth grade gifted students had taken Landmarks' "What Are Buildings Made Of?" course on historic architecture, and in the months since then have consulted with our staff members to develop reuse proposals for endangered buildings in the city.
(December 12, 2008) The St. Louis Public School District is rapidly completing a Facilities Management Plan to guide the State Administrative Board (SAB) through implementation of a plan for upgrades and closures. The Comprehensive Long-Range Plan passed by the SAB on December 11 calls for closing schools to help save costs. As Landmarks members know, school closings can be problematic in a district with such a vast stock of architecturally significant historic schools. Past closure rounds have led to mistakes, demolition and vacant buildings whose futures remain uncertain. Please consider attending one of the remaining public meetings or sharing your thoughts via the online survey found at www.betterstlouisschools.com. With your input, the facilities plan can have a strong historic preservation component.
(November 26, 2008) Possible efforts to place the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial under private control appear to have dissipated after lobbying from Landmarks Association of St. Louis, the National Parks Conservation Association, the Open Space Council and the Missouri Coalition for the Environment, among others.
(November 20, 2008) This past Friday, Missouri celebrated an important milestone in historic preservation: the 40th anniversary of its State Hisoric Preservation Office. At the end of the quarterly meeting of the Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, advisory council members joined current and former SHPO staffers and gathered well-wishers to toast the state's historic preservation efforts.
(November 19, 2008) The November 2008 agenda of the St. Louis Preservation Board contains five different demolition proposals! landmarks is currently investigating the proposals in order to prepare testimony for Monday's board meeting.
(November 19, 2008) On Wednesday, November 19th, Landmarks' Executive Director Jeff Mansell and Research Associate Andrew Weil participated in a meeting called by Congressman Russ Carnahan to discuss strategies to ensure the protection of Sugar Loaf Mound. At this meeting Landmarks articulated a position that was approved by the Board of Directors in the form of a resolution that was unanimously approved last week. To read the text of the resolution click "more."